Monday 24 June 2013

Facial Hair in Women. A big problem for some but with Hairaway Canada there is a solution.


Excessive facial hair in women is not just a cosmetic problem. It is also perhaps a sign of an underlying medical condition that in most circumstances can be treated effectively with the use of the medical lasers at our clinic.



Up to 15% of women have excess facial hair and in many case a hormone disorder is the most likely cause. 
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the cause of excess facial or body hair in anywhere from 70%-80% of the cases.
What is PCOS?
According to the Womans' Health Web Site, The cause of PCOS is unknown. But most experts think that several factors, including genetics, could play a role Women with PCOS are more likely to have a mother or sister with PCOS.
A main underlying problem with PCOS is a hormonal imbalance. In women with PCOS, the ovaries make more androgens than normal. Androgens are male hormones that females also make. High levels of these hormones affect the development and release of eggs during ovulation. Researchers also think insulin may be linked to PCOS. Insulin is a hormone that controls the change of sugar, starches, and other food into energy for the body to use or store. Many women with PCOS have too much insulin in their bodies because they have problems using it. Excess insulin appears to increase production of androgen. High androgen levels can lead to:
  • Acne
  • Excessive Hair Growth - Also referred to as Hirsutism
  • Weight Gain
  • Problems with Ovulation

Hirsutism, is very distressing and can be particularly upsetting for young women.

Estimates of how many women are affected are likely to be underestimated because women can be reluctant to seek help. 
In addition to PCOS, which is a major cause of fertility problems, rarer causes of excessive hairiness include certain tumours and thyroid dysfunction, as well as the use of certain drugs.
Dr Rebecca Swingler, from St. Michaels Hospital in Bristol, says that "Often women have had to cope with their excessive hair growth for many years before seeking professional help."
Mild cases of hirsutism can be treated cosmetically with the use of medical lasers but in moderate to severe cases, hormone therapy, such as the oral contraceptive pill and other treatments are available.
The professional and experienced owner operators at Hairaway Canada will be able to provide the best advice for those seeking a long term solution.

2 comments:

  1. I first had symptoms when i was 17 and was told that i had PCOS (thin people type PCOS) and was officially diagnosed at 22 ans now i am 35. I have always had regular periods and unless on birth control pills were they irregular at times and I had a hard time getting pregnant because of the absent periods. I was always told by doctors that I would have a hard time conceiving so I would only go on the pill periodically which i did for more than 4 years, not for protection against getting pregnant, but just to get a period (since I was told it's not healthy to have less than 4 or so periods a year). Last time I went on a 3 month birth control pill and then stopped again because the medicine was not curing my pcos nor making me get pregnant. I went in search for a cure and ended up with so many drugs, medicine and even soaps that didn't work. I actually thought at a point that i was cursed that there is no cure for it, i was prepared to live like that till i read a testimony of a patient who suffered from pcos whose case was even worse than mine and how she was cured completely, I was amazed and at thesame time anxious and curious so i had to contact the doctor with the contact details that she left on the note. The doctor gave me so much hope and confidence with her kind words of encouragement to believe in myself and i was lifted because no one has ever given me hope like that before. I ordered the medicine, took it for 8 weeks and to my complete surprise, all the facial hairs, weight gain and all disappeared within 4 weeks and I ended up getting pregnant within a few weeks of completing the treatment! I was in shock. I think the main reasons it happened was that I never gave up and was ready to try alternative treatment so my body was back to normal. Before now i never enjoyed sex because it was very painful but now i do and my husband is the best thing that ever happened to me.. I hope this inspires some of you because I never in a million years would have thought that I would get pregnant and was getting frustrated and now our baby is due next month! You can reach her on aletedwin@gmail.com if you find yourself in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points! hair removal for women

    ReplyDelete